March 26, 2009
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT TO MEMBERS AND FRIENDS
OF THE OPEN DOORS CHAPTER OF MORE LIGHT PRESBYTERIANS:
Please join us at the April 21 meeting where our Presbytery will vote on the question of whether to delete Amendment B from the Book of Order and thereby become a more welcoming and inclusive church for all God’s people. While non-commissioners have not been given an opportunity to speak, it is important to make our presence felt! So we want to have a strong showing of GLBT people and friends at the meeting, wearing rainbow scarves and offering them to any commissioner who would like to wear one in solidarity with us!
The April 21 meeting, which includes a dinner, is from 4 to 8 p.m. at the National Capital Presbyterian Church, 410 Nebraska Avenue N.W., http://www.natpresch.org/location.php. It is a five-block walk from the Tenleytown metro station and there is a big parking lot behind the church.
After the meeting, please join us at Guapo’s Restaurant for food and drink and fellowship – 4515 Wisconsin Avenue (across the street from the Tenleytown metro station). We don’t know how the vote will go yet – either in our Presbytery or nationally — but we have come a long way and we have a lot to be grateful for – so let’s celebrate!
We need you to do the following:
1. RSVP to Diane Curran (email@example.com) to let us know you are coming. And recruit your friends! We want to get at least 50 people to attend!
2. Sign up for the meeting by e-mailing Jeannie Spargur at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Presbytery is requiring people to sign up, and it will help them plan to have enough seats for us.)
3. Either bring $10 to pay for dinner or bring your own dinner.
4. If you can, come to the meeting 15 minutes early and help us hand out scarves to commissioners as they are coming in.
5. Wear comfortable shoes in case we have to stand. If there aren’t enough chairs, we will cycle people in and out of the room to take rest breaks.
6. If you are a knitter, we need you to help us make 100 rainbow scarves! Wendy Turman has yarn and instructions that she will distribute at church. Or e-mail her at email@example.com.
7. MOST IMPORTANT — Come with joy in your heart, a prayerful attitude and love to share with your fellow More Light witnesses and the commissioners to the Presbytery.
Hope to see you there!
March 11, 2009
If you have any “Big Ideas” about LGBT equality they are soliciting ideas at:
March 10, 2009
I thought that this was a powerful video done by Courage Campaign.